Configuring Windows NT for Client-Server Mode
To setup a Windows NT Server to run PR-Tracker in Client-Server mode, it must
have the Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack installed. If you don't know whether or not
the option pack is installed, press the Windows Start button select Programs
from the popup menu. If the option pack is installed you will see Windows NT 4.0
Option Pack on the Programs submenu.
Step 1: Create a Windows username prtracker
- Log on to the server as a local user with administrative privilege. If you
can't logon locally it means the server is a domain controller and you will
have to create a domain user instead of a local user.
- From the Windows Start menu select Programs |
Administrative Tools | User Manager for Domains. The User
Manager dialog will be displayed.
- From the User Manager dialog select menu New | User.
- From the New User dialog enter prtracker, PR-Tracker,
and Problem Tracking System for the User name, Full name
and Description, respectively.
- Uncheck box User must change password at next login and check box Password
- Click the Add button to add the user and then close the dialog.
If you created a local user and if you plan to use SQL Server as the database
provider, it is recommended that you make the user an administrator of the
computer. Perform the following operations to do that.
- Double-click the prtracker user in the User Manager dialog.
- From the User Properties dialog click the Groups button.
- From the Group Memberships dialog, select Administrators in
the right-hand listbox and click the Add button.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 2: Configure prtrack.dll in Microsoft Transaction Server
- Start MTS by pressing the Windows Start
button and then select Programs | Windows 4.0 Option Pack | Microsoft
Transaction Server | Transaction Server Explorer. The dialog will be displayed.
- Using the left panel on the console, navigate
down to My Computer | Packages Installed.
- Right click on Packages Installed and
select New Package. The Package Wizard dialog will be
- Click button Create an empty package.
Enter PR-Tracker for the package name and press Next.
- In the
select option This user and enter prtracker for the User.
Click Finish. The PR-Tracker package will appear on the right panel of the
- On the left navigate down to PR-Tracker |
- Right click on Components and select New
Component. The Component Wizard will be displayed.
- Click the Import Component button. The
dialog will be displayed.
- Find prtrack.clsPrtrackerInterface in
the list, click on it, and press the Finish button.
- Close the Microsoft Management Console.
Step 3: Share the NETSETUP folder with share name PRTRACKER
By default, the NETSETUP folder is installed at
C:\Program Files\PR-Tracker\PRTRACKERDB\NETSETUP. Using Explorer, locate the
folder for NETSETUP and right click on the folder. Select Sharing...
from the popup menu (if you don't see Sharing... then you need
to login as an administrator). Share the folder with share name PRTRACKER
and set permissions so that the right people have read privilege.
Step 4: Optionally configure SQL SERVER
This step is only necessary if you plan to use SQL Server as the database
provider. By default PR-Tracker stores the database in Access 2000 format.
PR-Tracker installs all the components required to use Access 2000 as the
database provider, but if you want to use SQL Server as the database provider,
the computer acting as the PR-Tracker server must have SQL server installed and
SQL Server must be configured to work with PR-Tracker. See Configuring
Bug tracking doesn't have to be complicated | Help | Site Map