Configuring Windows 2003 Server for Client-Server Mode
Step 1: Create a Windows username prtracker
The steps for creating a Windows user depend on whether the computer acting
as the PR-Tracker server is a domain controller or not. If you don't know if the
server is a domain controller, click the start menu and check the popup menu for Administrative Tools | Component Services
Active Directory Users and Computers. If that menu item exists, the
server is a domain controller. Using a server that is not a domain
controller is recommended for better security.
Creating a domain user on Windows 2003
(server is a domain controller)
Creating a local user on Windows 2003
(server is not a domain controller)
Step 2: Configure PRTRACK.DLL under component services
- Log on to the Windows using prtracker account you just created in Step 1
- From the Windows Start menu select Administrative
Tools | Component Services
- In the
dialog, navigate down to My
Computer | COM+ Applications
- Right click COM+ Applications and select New | Application
from the popup menu.
- Press Next on the COM Application Install Wizard and then Create
an Empty Application
- In the dialog to
, enter PR-Tracker
for the application name and select option Server Application. Click Next.
choose option This User
and enter prtracker for the username. Enter the password you gave
PR-Tracker in Step 1 and click Next and then Finish.
- In the Component Services dialog, navigate down to PR-Tracker |
Components. Right click Components and from the popup menu select
New | Component. This will start the COM Component Install Wizard.
- From the COM Component Install Wizard click Next and Install
- In the
dialog find PRTRACK.DLL and
double click it.
- Select Creator Owner, then expand it and right-mouse click on Users folder. If you don't see prtracker user in the folder, click New|User and add prtracker user
- Press Next and then Finish and then close Component
Services to complete the configuration.
Step 3: Add all users who will use PR-Tracker into Distributed COM Users Group
- From the Windows Start menu select Administrative Tools | Active Directory Users and Computers. If this menu item does not exist, the server is not a domain controller and you should try Computer Management instead.
- From the Active Directory Users and Computers dialog or Computer Management, navigate to Users on the left panel; find Distributed COM Users on the right panel and right-mouse click and select Properties.
- Click on Members tab click Add... button. Enter all PR-Tracker users window login name into the Enter the object names or if you have PR-Tracker Users group then add it instead. Or click on Advanced... button, then click Find Now button to get all the users' name. Select the user name in the result list. To select more than one user from the list hold CTRL key and select user names from the list.
- Click OK three times
Step 4: Share the NETSETUP folder with share name PRTRACKER
By default, the NETSETUP folder is installed at
C:\Program Files\PR-Tracker\PRTRACKERDB\NETSETUP. Using Explorer, locate the
folder for NETSETUP and right click on the folder. Select Sharing...
from the popup menu (if you don't see Sharing... then you need
to login as an administrator). Share the folder with share name PRTRACKER and
set permissions so that the right people have read privilege.
Step 5: Optionally configure SQL SERVER
This step is only necessary if you plan to use SQL Server as the database
provider. By default PR-Tracker stores the database in Access 2000 format.
PR-Tracker installs all the components required to use Access 2000 as the
database provider, but if you want to used SQL Server as the database provider,
the computer acting as the PR-Tracker server must have SQL server installed and
SQL Server must be configured to work with PR-Tracker. See Configuring
Bug tracking doesn't have to be complicated | Help | Site Map